It is easy to support a child’s physical health- we know they need to be fed nutritious food, wear clothes appropriate for the weather, get enough exercise and so on… But what can we do to support their mental health? The following are some basic steps to provide a foundation of good mental health.
- Support their physical needs: Adequate Sleep and Nutrition, safe shelter, appropriate clothing, exercise
- Opportunities for play
- Unconditional love that your child feels- even when they have made a mistake
- Praise and encouragement from important adults, especially parents and teachers
- Behavioural tools so that they can manage and understand how their behaviour affects others
- Appropriate guidance and discipline that comes from a place of love
- Quality time, just ‘being’ with the people that love them
- Rest and relaxation techniques that provide a variety ‘down time’ strategies
- Safety and security, knowing that you are there to protect them
Factsheet: What Every Child Needs for Good Mental Health (rackcdn.com)
At Young Discoverers our values are ‘Love always’ and we use this concept to underpin all our actions. “Love: always protects, always hopes, always trusts, always perseveres”
If you need support in supporting your child’s mental health journey pop in and have a chat- we’re honoured to be a part of your parenting journey.