Eating Healthy! We all know we should do it and we are often bombarded with information…
What are the benefits, both to us and to our children?
There are of course many, but here are just a few:
- Keeps skin, teeth, and eyes healthy.
- Supports muscles.
- Helps achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
- Strengthens bones.
- Supports brain development.
- Supports healthy growth.
- Boosts immunity.
- Helps the digestive system function.
When it comes to children there are 5 dietary guidelines to follow to keep our children healthy…
- Children should eat sufficient nutritious foods to grow and develop normally. They should be physically active every day.
- Children should enjoy a variety of nutritious foods from these 5 food groups every day: fruit & vegetables, grains, lean meat, poultry, fish, eggs, tofu, nuts, seeds, milk, yoghurt, cheese (or alternative)…and drink plenty of water
- Limit foods containing saturated fat, added salt, added sugar…such as biscuits, cake, pies, soft drink, cordial, energy and sports drinks
- Breastfeed your child
- Care for your food and prepare and store it safely
Need to pack a lunch box? Sometimes a daunting prospect! Here’s some ideas for you!
Thanks to YD Helensvale Director, Miss Chrissy for this article!